Passport? Check. Suntan lotion? Check. Out of Office?
Door Alison Petersen
It’s that time of year again. What makes a good Out of Office reply?
Some things to remember; Out of Offices are often memo-style, without a normal beginning or end (Dear Jim, Kind regards etc). You only need to say when you’ll be back in the office, not the range of dates you’re away and it’s helpful to provide an alternative contact if possible.
I rounded up some real-life examples:
Informal: for internal messages or a relaxed style, try these:
- I’m away until 10th August and won’t be checking my emails. If there’s anything urgent, please text me on 01234 56789
- Sorry, I am currently out of the office returning Monday 10 August. If urgent please contact Penny Farthing on 01234 56789
Or more formal:
- Thank you for your message. I am away from the office until 10 August. I will respond to your message as soon as possible
- I am on holiday, returning on 10 August. If your mail is urgent please contact Penny Farthing at firstname.lastname@example.org. Regards, Bob
or American English:
- I am out of the office until Monday August 10th on vacation with limited access to email. Please expect a delay in my response
Have a great holiday!